Antarctica is the southernmost continent on the planet Earth. Howard Phillips Lovecraft had a long-running fascination with Antarctica and one of his most famous stories, At the Mountains of Madness, has ensured it a central place in the Cthulhu Mythos.
The fabled Plateau of Leng is rumoured to be situated somewhere in the Antarctic (although sources conflict on this), and a ruined Elder Thing city is located there. At the Mountains of Madness also heavily implies that a Great Old One inhabits the plain beyond the barrier mountains and Elder Thing city.
Stories with Antarctic Settings
H. P. Lovecraft's Works
- At the Mountains of Madness (1936)
Expanded Mythos Works
Inhabitants of Antarctica
- Albino penguins (HPL: At the Mountains of Madness)
- At least one Chthonian (EXP: "Big Nasty")
- Elder Things (HPL: At the Mountains of Madness)
- Groth-Golka (CIRCLE: Robert E. Howard, "The Gods of Bal-Sagoth"; incorporated by Lin Carter)
- At least one Shoggoth (HPL: At the Mountains of Madness)