Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Private Detective Frank Nardi is called by one of his clients, the world-renowned Miskatonic University, to resolve a situation involving a mysterious and dangerous stranger who has gained unauthorised access to their Exhibit Museum's new Egyptian display. Despite a horrific encounter which leaves Nardi's partner dead, he manages to secure the safety of the University.
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Frank Nardi, a private investigator specialising in supernatural cases.
- Harold Clemmens, the president of Miskatonic University.
- Tony Balnco, one of Frank's partners in the Arkham Detective Agency.
- The Stranger, a magically-powerful interloper with unclear goals.
- The Hacker, a man who gains access to the University's security network.
Behind the Mythos[edit | edit source]
Cruelty was written by C. J. Henderson shortly before his death in 2014. It was first published in the compilation Arkham Detective Agency in 2017, and has since also received an ebook release.
Mythos References[edit | edit source]
- The story is set in Miskatonic University, Arkham, an institution created by H. P. Lovecraft himself.
- Frank Nardi makes reference to "the enclaves of fishfolk all up and down the Massachusetts coast," a clear nod to the Deep Ones featured in "The Shadow Over Innsmouth."
- Although never explicitly stated, the Stranger is heavily implied to be Nyarlathotep; a man of apparently Middle-Eastern descent, after Nardi calls him "one goat-sucking son'va bitch," the Stranger replies with "Now I suppose I have a thousand and one names."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Arkham Detective Agency Series
|"The Idea of Fear" • "Cruelty" • "The Nest of Pain" • "Slaves for the Slaughter Sect" • "Call and Response" • "Miskatonic Contradance" • "Family Tradition" • "Light a Candle, Curse the Darkness" • "Il Segno Giallo" • "Echo of a Distant Scream" • "Closure" • "Witch Fire" • "Bonanza" • "Reeling Back" • "Those Folk Below" • "She Wore a Trench Coat" • "Clear the Air" • "A Walk in the Shadows" • "A Pleasure in Madness"|