Frank Nardi and Nerea Yeboa (who accompanies Nardi by possessing a series of animals and entities) track a young drug addict who has inadvertently stolen an artefact of great power which was hidden in the trunk of Nardi's car. When the addict accidentally activates the device, a terrifying eldritch entity is able to enter our world, and the two must use every trick at their disposal to banish it back to the beyond.
- Frank Nardi, New York cop turned Arkham private investigator.
- Nerea Yeboa, a powerful magic user and member of a mysterious British organisation apparently dedicated to the eradication of Mythos influences from Earth.
- Donnie Kiernan, a thief and a junkie.
- Nancy, a deformed prostitute.
Behind the Mythos
"Miskatonic Contradance" was written by Konstantine Paradias at the request of Brian M. Sammons. It became part of the Arkham Detective Agency series of short Mythos stories begun by C. J. Henderson, and was published in the 2017 collection Arkham Detective Agency by Dark Regions Press.
- The story is set in Lovecraft's legendary town of Arkham.
- Nerea makes reference to a colleague of hers consulting the Pnakotic Manuscripts.
- Whilst not explicitly stated, the entity encountered by Nardi and Nerea is heavily implied to be the Outer God Azathoth, with Nerea referring to it as the "idiot, all-knowing Sultan at the center of all things."
- The memory of Tommy Malone (the protagonist of Lovecraft's short story "The Horror at Red Hook") flashes through Nardi's mind when Nerea attempts to possess his body.
The Arkham Detective Agency Series
|"The Idea of Fear" • "Cruelty" • "The Nest of Pain" • "Slaves for the Slaughter Sect" • "Call and Response" • "Miskatonic Contradance" • "Family Tradition" • "Light a Candle, Curse the Darkness" • "Il Segno Giallo" • "Echo of a Distant Scream" • "Closure" • "Witch Fire" • "Bonanza" • "Reeling Back" • "Those Folk Below" • "She Wore a Trench Coat" • "Clear the Air" • "A Walk in the Shadows" • "A Pleasure in Madness"|