After leaving Elysia in the space/time machine De Marigny's Clock, Titus Crow and Tiania travel to the Earth's Dreamlands in order to discover why so many of the allies of the Elder Gods there have suddenly gone quiet.
After investigating the situation, the two discover a plot by the entity known as the Fly-the-Light to enslave the people of the Dreamlands with the aid of the Men of . After a series of events involving the capture of both Crow and Tiania, Crow's friend Henri-Laurent de Marigny travels to the Dreamlands and effects a rescue, after which the trio rid the land of the Fly-the-Light and are able to throw the Men of Leng out of the cities.
The book concludes with Crow, Tiania and de Marigny forging alliances with some of the inhabitants of the Dreamlands -including Randolph Carter - in preparation for the upcoming war against the Cthulhu Cycle Deities.
- Titus Crow, an occultist with a desire to rid the universe of the Cthulhu Cycle Deities.
- Tiania, Crow's lover and expert on the Cthulhu Cycle Deities.
- Henri-Laurent de Marigny, Crow's best friend and fellow occultist.
- Professor Wingate Peaslee, a senior member of the Wilmarth Foundation.
- Randolph Carter, a highly influential resident of the Dreamlands.
- The Fly-the-Light, an avatar of Nyarlathotep.
- The Men of Leng, a race of horned, humanoid slave-traders and worshipers of the Fly-the-Light.
- The Keeper of the Cage, once a human sorcerer, later stripped of his free will and forced to serve the Great Old Ones.
Behind the Mythos
The Clock of Dreams was first published in 1978. It has since been included in a number of collected editions along with other volumes of the Titus Crow series.