The Dreamlands or Dream Realm Edit
The Dreamlands or Dream Realm is a vast, alternate dimension or universe, accessible to earthly humans only through dreams and through which one can enter the Underworld. The waking world is our everyday or "real" universe.
The Dreamlands are for the most part a mirror-image of our waking universe, having, as far as can be determined, the same planets, stars and other cosmic geographical features. However, there are numerous races, civilisations and beings existing in the Dreamlands that do not exist in the waking universe, such as the Zoogs, Gugs, Ghasts, moon-beasts, and others.
- The Plateau of Leng - Home to man-eating spiders and the satyr-like "Men of Leng".
- Celephaïs - a city dreamt into being by its monarch Kuranes, greatest of all recorded dreamers.
- The Forbidden Lands.
- Steps of Deeper Slumber (accessed via the "Cavern of Flame").
- The Enchanted Woods - The place where many enter the Dreamlands.
- Hatheg-Kla - A "high and rocky" mountain in the "stony desert" thirteen days' walk from the village of Hatheg, for which it is named. It is one of the places where the "gods of earth" once dwelt and sometimes return to when they are homesick. (HPL: "The Other Gods")
- Thurai - A White-capped mountains where the gods of earth used to dwell. It is said that at Thurai men mistake the tears of the gods for rain. (HPL: "The Other Gods")
- Lerion - Another mountain formerly inhabited by the gods where the "plaintive dawn-winds" are the in fact their eternal sighs. (HPL: "The Other Gods") Lerion is later described as the source of the river Skai. (HPL: "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath")
- Dylath-Leen - A port recognised as one of the Dreamlands' largest cities.
- Ulthar - A town where no man may kill a cat that lies beyond the river Skai.
- Hatheg and Mir - Neighbouring towns run by Burgesses.
- Hlanith - A coastal jungle city.
- Illarnek - A desert trading capital.
- Land of Mnar - The fabled home of grey stones are etched with strange signs.
- Sarnath - The ruins of a once great civilisation.
A huge castle atop a mountain and the domain of the "Great Ones", the gods of Earth's Dreamland.
A subterranean region underneath the Dreamlands inhabited by various monsters.
Accessible via a ship and inhabited by toad-like "moon-beasts" allied with Nyarlathotep.