"The Nest of Pain" is a short story written by American author C. J. Henderson. It is the third in the Arkham Detective Agency series, and is a direct continuation of the first story "The Idea of Fear."
When one of the owners of the house investigated by the Arkham Detective Agency in the first story begs him to take another look at their property, Frank Nardi uncovers the immortal evil lurking in its walls. Using all of the cunning at his disposal, he is able to destroy both the entity and the means by which it has survived the centuries.
- Frank Nardi, a private investigator with a speciality in paranormal affairs.
- Mark Berkenwald, one of Frank's partners in the Arkham Detective Agency.
- Edward and Julie Douglas, the young owners of the sinister house, and victims of its vampiric needs.
- Madame Renee, a psychic on retainer for the Arkham Detective Agency.
- Galtoni, another of Frank's partners.
- Jedidiah Mortonson, an immortal psychic vampire and the story's antagonist.
- "The Nest of Pain" was written by C. J. Henderson prior to his death in 2014. It was first published in the collection Arkham Detective Agency by Dark Regions Press in 2017, and has since also received an ebook issue.
The Arkham Detective Agency Series
|"The Idea of Fear" • "Cruelty" • "The Nest of Pain" • "Slaves for the Slaughter Sect" • "Call and Response" • "Miskatonic Contradance" • "Family Tradition" • "Light a Candle, Curse the Darkness" • "Il Segno Giallo" • "Echo of a Distant Scream" • "Closure" • "Witch Fire" • "Bonanza" • "Reeling Back" • "Those Folk Below" • "She Wore a Trench Coat" • "Clear the Air" • "A Walk in the Shadows" • "A Pleasure in Madness"|